does not FAIL:
A successful project is one that sticks to a plan and stays clear of any element that can throw the project off course and cause it to fail.
Here are 7 fast tracks to FAILURE, so ensure you avoid them…
- Handling problems:
A scope-less project is a hopeless project. When a problem arises, don’t follow the plan and advice from others — just throw money at a problem. Money is the cure for all problems.
- Don’t waste time analysing problems:
You’ve done this a million times before, that’s why you are the manager, so don’t listen to the experts. And — absolutely, above all, whatever you do — be sure to ignore the customer. You wouldn’t launch a project if you didn’t know everything, and what does anyone else know? So just fix it.
- Avoid big problems:
Most of our projects fail anyway, and we’ve got no time for them, either—we’re too busy putting out fires. So why fix something that isn’t broken?
- Forget quality:
Focus all your energy on time and cost, not quality. The project must happen and happen now which means that everything must be done yesterday. The budget is tight, so never let anyone spend money. Remember, there is no time for checking and meetings — just get it done.
- Don’t thank the team:
– just push them harder. Don’t waste time with planning, People ought to know what to do. Just tell the team to get it done now—or else.
- It’s ok if we don’t really stick to the plan:
Why bother with the plan when management did it anyway, and what do they know from their ivory tower. Rules are meant to be broken and so is the plan – we will just plan as we go along.
- Limit communication:
The team should only know what they have been told and no more. Too much knowledge is too much power. If they know everything and more than me, I am out of a job. They must come to me to solve their problems because I am the only one who can make decisions.
Did you find this article of value?
Project Management Course
Whether you are qualified or just starting out, let us show you the tricks and skills that are used by Project Managers the world over and how exactly a project should be run!
In just 3 days…
Learn how to plan a project
Know where to start the project and the Project Route
Understand how a project is managed
Find out who is involved in the project process
Know in depth the project life-cycle
How to successfully manage and run your own project the day after the course.
This 3-day intensive Project Management Course will:
- Give you the understanding of how a project is run
- Prevent major costly mistakes occurring
- Give you the confidence to run your very own project immediately after the course
- Give you the knowledge and skills required to manage projects of any type
This course is designed to develop the skills required to deal effectively with managing and implementing a project and will cover the following modules:
Planning a Project
- Learn the 4 phases of a Project and what is required for each.
- Identify the types of people involved and the roles they play.
Developing the Plan
- Learn how to complete a Charter; set up the Issues List; a Lesson-learnt list and how to assemble a team.
Overall Change Control
- Manage Changes that occur during the Project Process.
- Discover how to set an appropriate target; learn how to recognise the different types of customers and how to define their exact needs.
- Learn how to estimate costs and create a spending estimate.
- Managing problems that may occur and preventing them from impacting on the Project.
Executing the Plan
- Monitoring the progress continually in the Execution Phase and learn how to identify risks that were not originally anticipated.
Closing out the Project
- Evaluating the customer’s satisfaction and know how to assemble a Close-out report.
WHO WILL BENEFIT?
Anyone who is involved in Project Management and involved in teams where decisions and planning needs to be actioned.
This course is registered through:
Services Seta (Decision No 0949)
Project Management Institute of South Africa (PMSA)
Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA)
20, 21, 22 October 2014 Gauteng
10, 11, 12 December 2014 Gauteng
08h00 to 16h30
R 4 800.00 excl. vat (Includes a Manual, Templates, Lunch and refreshments)